Sunday 5 August 2012

As Promised

Good evening to you all. 
As promised, i am about to tell you about my current WIP. As you know, I have been stopped in my tracks by the fact that i don't have enough motifs to complete the project. Instead, I will be working on something else until i can get to my favourite Yarn store.


In the beginning,  there was a leisure arts book called 'Our Best baby afghans'




I happened to carry it with me to work. I was on a study day and of course to keep the boredom at bay, i had carried my current WIP in with me.
At the time i was working on a corner to corner crochet blanket which had been ordered by someone.

I was enjoying working on it however there were a few crochet enthusiasts in the group with me. they kept interrupting my work to see how i was getting on...... don't you hate it when someone pulls at your work. below is a picture of what i was working on

 I know i am showing you the finished product but this spill is about my current WIP
suffice to say the customer was extremely pleased by the out come. 
 She asked for booties and although there were several patterns available for free online, I made some up combining what i liked in the bootees i had seen others make. In the picture above they were not yet fully blocked yet hence the puckered right bootee.

So a work colleague having seen what i could do decided she wanted a blanket for her niece to be. The baby is not due till this september. she looked through my book and chose a blanket from the book above.  she offered the job to another crochet enthusiast however... this person seemed reluctant to attempt what seemed to be a rather big project so she slowly pulled herself out and offered my services instead. Being a crochet addict, I could not say no.... 
I went away excited and full of purpose. I bought my yarn - baby style craft yarn in yellow [a 200g ball of aran] and 2 white balls. according to the instructions, the blanket would use up a total of about 500g.
Having spent a lot of time sneaking peaks at other peoples blogs, i had discovered a new way of working. it involves working on each phase of the motif separately to create the whole. 


It was actually quite easy i had to make a total of 80 motifs for the blanket. working constantly i finished them all within a week. I did not keep track of how many hours it took.

 Towards the end, i got a bit worried that the yarn would not be enough. i thought i had my 80 flowers but obviously not. Now i will have to buy a new ball of yarn in order to make just one more of these little yellow flowers!!!! but oh well who would say not to a trip to a yarn store. This project is taking more yarn than the instructions said it would. 

The next stage of the project involved working with the white yarn to create the border of the motifs. The pattern required that i join the motifs as i go along. As a person who hates joining, being asked to join by crochet is absolutely fine by me. Ask me to weave in and that is another matter altogether.

so... my lunch break at work was an opportunity to work on stage 2 as i was calling it


 As i worked, I also day dreamed of my next project from the same book.  Below ... Isn't it absolutely gorgeous? I will be making it for i work colleague who is currently having a hard time during her pregnancy. I am hoping that it will be as gorgeous as it looks in the book.  And yes i have already bought the yarn. Of course it will be white... i can't imagine it in another colour yet, mmm... other than blue... or yellow... or a lilac.... :-)



 So.... getting back to the WIP, i worked on it at every opportunity, below i was at kwik fit having my car MOTd


 I would spend a few minutes before bedtime adding one or two more flowers



 At times i would set myself targets such as 2 motifs to be added before i stop.  I started to enjoy watching the contrast of the yellow flower and the white flower created in-between... niyiceee...


 When the weather was good, i would sit in the garden with a nice cup of tea to keep me company.


 What amazed me is the size it was growing to. Methinks it could be used as a cot blanket once the border is added.



 It is so big!!!!! 


Its length will be greater than a metre And its width will also be greater than a metre when it is complete

 Sadly as you all know, we are at a standstill now. I need to buy more yarn tomorrow. Then we will be able to carry on.


 In the meantime, the world's worst job needs to be done. weaving in the ends created by the constant cutting as each motif is joined.


I did this last night whilst watching great Britains, Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah win Gold. It was so exhilarating!!!!! i felt as if i was the one winning. I have been inspired to take up more sports.  I have tried many in the past but hula hooping has overshadowed everything else. I might go back to swimming, walking, jogging, running.... 




 So Until tomorrow, below is what i am going to be working with. As per above, i will wait till I am progressing, then I will tell you all about it.  I will post tease pics if i think it is going well. [please ignore the extra text you can barely see. i am only just learning how to use instagram]





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback