Saturday 15 September 2012

Work in Progress Stage 1 - The begining.

Greetings to you all. It has been a long time since i talked about one of my great loves...Crochet :)
So, as you may recall, I showed you 3 balls of yarn in blue, green and i think its called pink but it kind of looks red at times.


I promised that i would create something exciting. 
i don't know if you will consider it so but I am having a great time doing it.

The only reason why it is not complete is because I am an expert at procrastination. I believe this stems from an unconcious discomfort with fun for myself. Maybe it has to do with being a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a friend. It makes me wonder... when am i really just me? when are you really just you with no obligations to anyone but yourself?
 That is not to say that i dislike my life. I love all the people around me but my sense of obligation to them is overtaking any sense of me i may have had [last seen at when i was a little girl]. When did i last feel like me?
EEEEeeeeeeek!!! I digress....sorry....

Back to the story - stage 1: Having spent many an hour trawling the web checking out other peoples blogs, i decided to try and be methodical about how i worked. I have noticed that when working with more than one colour, many crocheters start by creating all the centres they will need. they then carry on in that manner adding one layer at a time to all the motifs they are working. I started with the centres. 20 in each colour. 


I then started adding the next layer of colour to each set. The combination of colours and how they would work for each set came easily to me. It is hard to put into words but my brain made a decision and i followed it. As long as i did not think too hard on it, it made sense. 


  It was almost instinctive... 
The way it all moved along so smoothly at this stage made it fun and exciting. Throughout the bank holiday weekend at the end of August, i worked away using every spare moment i had.

Before you knew it i was onto Stage 2 which was adding colour. 


Stage 3 followed soon after.

As more of the squares neared their ending, i got even more excited. 
 

It felt amazing!!! i though maybe i could be as good as some of the other crocheters out there. Maybe i could create something that would look good.


Before you know it my lovely squares..


...Were completed. total number = 60



Total combinations 6. 


Any mathematicians out there? I found myself thinking of permutations and combinations. I started to get a bit ahead of myself. A little bit of research told me i was getting in way over my head!!!! Did you know there is a formula for working out the most pleasing permutation or combination based on shapes that have been proved to be pleasing to the eye??? Neither did I. I wonder if i could restudy maths just to bring it into crochet....
Any ways all this blurb about permutations and combinations really started at the end of stage 2 so ignore my ramblings.  How i resisted adding the final colour before this stage I do not know. I know i did not show you the 4th colour but you will see it soon. :)


To find out what happened next, please wait for my next blog....Stage 2 - The joining...
I am hoping to write it up tomorrow If i can resist doing what i am currently classifying as Stage 3 - The finishing

For those of you wondering how much yarn i am using see below
yarn type - Aran
300g per ball
One ball for each of the colours used above
3 balls of the mystery colour

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback